Sunday Supper Club - Chicken Tikka Masala
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets (about 4 cups)
- 2 cups small frozen peas, thawed
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped garlic
- 1.5 Tbsp. finely chopped ginger
- 2 seeded and minced Serrano chiles (NOTE: leave seeds in one or both if you want a spicier dish!)
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup unsalted chicken stock
- 1 (28-oz) can plum tomatoes
- 1 cup half & half or coconut milk
- 1 cup plain yogurt, divided
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp. garum masala, divided
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- Optional: naan
- Cutting board
- Baking sheet
- Aluminum foil
- Large skillet or pot
- Wooden spoon
- Ziploc bag or bowl for marinating chicken
- Cook the rice according to package instructions.
- Marinate the chicken. Preheat oven to 425°. Place chicken, 1/2 cup yogurt, and 1 tablespoon garum masala in a bowl or Ziploc bag. Toss to coat and set aside 15 minutes.
- Crush the tomatoes. Drain liquid from tomatoes. Place drained tomatoes in a bowl, crush (preferably with your hands), and set aside.
- Roast the chicken. Place marinated chicken on a pan lined with foil; roast 8-10 minutes or until browned and cooked through.
- Sauté and stew it up! Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, ginger, and serranos. Saute until slightly softened, 2 minutes. Stir in remaining garum masala, cumin, cinnamon, and cayenne. Cook 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes, chicken stock, cauliflower, and half-and-half (or coconut milk). Simmer until thickened, 6 to 7 minutes. Stir in cooked chicken, peas, and half of the cilantro.
You're done. Spoon into bowls over rice, and garnish with remaining cilantro, almonds, and yogurt. Serve up and enjoy!