Sunday Supper Club - Korean Beef Bowl
- 2 garlic cloves, grated or minced
- 2 T fresh ginger, grated or minced
- 1/4 C soy sauce OR tamari (GF)
- 1/2 pear (or apple), grated
- 2 T honey
- 2 T gochugaru (Korean chili flakes) OR 1 T crushed red chili flakes
- 2 lbs. steak (NY strip, flank, skirt, ribeye), sliced into 2" x 1/4"-thick strips
- 1 small cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped (garnish)
- 1 English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 small bag matchstick carrots
- 6 eggs
- 1 C + 2 T rice vinegar
- 1/2 C raw sugar
- 1/4 C kosher salt
- Brown rice (long or short grain)
- Cutting board
- Large sauté pan / cast iron skillet
- Sauce pan
- Wooden spoon
- Microplane or grater
- Measuring utensils
- Ziploc bag to marinate beef overnight
- Marinate the steak. Add marinade ingredients in a bowl; stir to combine. Add sliced steak. Place mixture in a large Ziploc bag and refrigerate overnight (minimum 4 hr, maximum 24 hr). (NOTE: check out our IGTV video for a quick tutorial AND several helpful hacks!)
- Pickle the veggies. Add 1 cup water, rice vinegar, sugar, and salt in a small saucepan over high heat. Cook 2 minutes or until just hot enough to dissolve solids; whisk throughout. Divide veggies into 2 separate containers and pour half of liquid into each container. Let stand until cool (20-30 minutes). Can be refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.
- Soft-boil the eggs. Bring a large pot of water and 2 tbsp. vinegar to a boil. Using a slotted spoon, gently lower eggs into pot. Cook 6 minutes. Immediately plunge into a bowl of ice water. Let cool for 15 minutes. Peel eggs. Can be refrigerated up to 3 days. If not serving immediately, reheat eggs for 45 seconds in pot of steaming water. Remove with a slotted spoon.
- Make the rice. Cook rice according to package instructions; keep warm.
- Grill steak. Heat a large skillet over high heat. Add 2 tbsp. oil (use a neutral oil - sesame, grapeseed, avocado, canola) until shimmering. Add 1/4 of marinated beef. Cook until lightly charred, 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Assemble and enjoy! Spoon rice into bowls. Top with beef, pickled vegetables, warm egg. Garnish with scallions and sesame seeds.